Friday 3 May 2013

Book Review: Contemporary Upholstery by Hannah Stanton

I was contacted a couple of weeks ago by The Aurum Publishing Group asking if I would  be interested in doing a couple of book reviews. Both books looked great so I jumped at the chance and before I knew it 2 gorgeous books arrived!

Now Beavers camp is over (phew) I have finally had a chance to read the first book, Contemporary Upholstery by Hannah Stranton. I currently have 6 dining room chairs, one blanket box type thing and a fancy chair on my re-upholster list. I plan on doing everything except the fancy chair so have a lot of learning to do!


 The first thing to say is that this is a gorgeous looking book, I love the colours and pictures on the cover.

The book is set out in a very logical fashion, it starts with the tools and equipment that may be required, then has a whole section outlining all the different types of fabric and what they are best used for. This was really interesting for a fabric geek like me!

The techniques covered in the book start with basic quick makeover techniques, including re-upholstering a drop in seat cushion and mending tears,


then goes on to complete makeovers explaining how to strip chairs back to the bare bones then rebuild them.

The instructions are fairly comprehensive, the only thing I wasn't sure of was how the diagrams were laid out but I soon got used to it!


Throughout the book there are profiles of professionals with before and after pictures of upstyled furniture they have done. If you are lacking inspiration these profiles are fantastic, it is really amazing what a bit of time, paint and fabric can do!

All in all this is a brilliant book if you are planning any upholstery it is worth a read.
To order Contemporary Upholstery (9781906417918) for £16.00 including p&p* (RRP: £20.00), telephone 01903 828503 and quote offer code JS206. Or send a cheque made payable to: Littlehampton Book Services Mail Order Department, Littlehampton Book Services, PO Box 4264, Worthing, West Sussex BN13 3TG. Please quote the offer code JS206 and include your name and address details. *UK ONLY - Please add £2.50 if ordering from overseas.
Now, to attempt to put a cushion on the top of my blanket box, I now know how to make it so the foam has softer edges, hopefully I will have a before and after post soon!







As I said before, I was provided with this book to review but all opinions are my own.

Linking to some of these fab linky parties!


3 comments:

  1. Oh man, I have been looking for a really comprehensive, modern book on upholstery for so long (that wasn't just recovering cushions). Hello wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see the before and after pics! You got this!! ;) Wanted to let you know I'm hosting a stella & dot giveaway this week if you want to stop by and enter!! Hope you have a great weekend!!

    ~Heather
    http://notesfromthenelsens.blogspot.com/2013/05/stella-dot-party-and-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good book review. Thanks so much for sharing with Wednesday's Adorned From Above Blog Hop. We can't wait to see what you have for us this week. The party starts at 8:00PM tonight.
    Debi and Charly

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.